Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) and its Evinrude brand just announced a new E-Link “virtual dashboard” app that can display boat engine data and control certain engine features. According to the news release the app will be available for Android and IOS. We’ll add an IOS link when the Evinrude app shows up in the iTunes store.
You need to own a phone or tablet, an E-TEC G2 engine, and also buy the Evinrude E-Link kit (part number 768403) for the app to be functional. Pricing for the kit is not yet available. It appears that the E-Link kit connects to the engine’s NMEA 2000 (N2K) network and then communicates via WiFi with the app. It’s all new and a bit sketchy at the moment so please excuse the lack of detail.
Other than high torque, one of the primary benefits of Evinrude’s E-TEC direct injection two-stroke engines are the longer service intervals and reduced maintenance versus four-stroke engines.
Evinrude App Features
- Provides the same information and functionality available through Evinrude ICON Touch digital marine gauges
- Provides an ECO View function to monitor average fuel economy, estimated range and instantaneous fuel use
- Displays engine information including RPM, fuel flow, trim position, oil level and more
- Two trip logs to aid boaters with fuel management by calculating distance traveled, fuel consumed, and average and maximum speed
- Displays vessel and accessory information including fuel levels, battery voltage, water depth and more
- Forwards engine data to your dealer via email
- Provides engine mode adjustment including i-Trim engine trim control, dynamic power steering level adjustment and auto-winterization
Evinrude’s ICON high-visibility touch displays are available in 3.5, 4.3 and 7 inch sizes. Now the app could conceivably allow for an even bigger display by using a larger tablet. It’s worth noting that few if any tablets or phones are easy to read in direct sunlight. It would need hands-on boat testing to assess the true usefulness of an app like this.